Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Harvard Art Museum

I have lived in MA almost my whole life (except when I was living abroad…did you know we lived in London for a few years…?), I worked in Cambridge for many years, I used to spend a lot of free time in Harvard Square and yet I have NEVER been to the Harvard Art Museum. 
Well, that was rectified this weekend.  We thought it was great.  And you all get to enjoy it as well as we took lots of photos.  So get a cup of tea and let's look at some art!

We'll start with Klimt. I'm not that into Klimt but I like this one.  Bill actually brought me back a scarf from the Musee D'Orsay of this painting so I was surprised to find that the original is right here in my back yard.

Hmmm…note to self:  work on art gazing face.  This one will not do.


I hate to start with the big gun right out of the gate but this was my favorite picture.  It's a self portrait of Max Beckmann.  Never heard of him, but I like him.  I actually thought it was Truman Capote at first but I googled Beckmann and it turns out to be more Becklmann than Capote.  
This is how they had to do selflies in 1927 - in oil on canvas.  


I think this was a Beckmann too…not quite as attractive although I warm up to it the longer I look at it.
These were all in the room highlighting German artists between the wars.  I liked this sketch quite a bit.
Then we moved into the room of impressionists.
Second favorite of the day - a Dufy!!  I was as surprised as you are!  I don't general gravitate to Dufy but the colors were terrific.  And I just noticed you can see Bill's reflection in the glass - that must be why I like it so much.
An early Picasso.  He painted this when he was 19.  it was on a double sided canvas and I really liked the picture on the other side.  I read that this side was the one generally turned towards the wall and yet we don't seem to have a photo of the other side. 

I think the story on this one was that Van Gogh gave it to a friend and they had a falling out shortly after.   Seems harsh.
Who sits around with something draped over their knees but leaving the rest of themselves uncovered?
Another one of my favorites:  Pissaro's Boulevard Montmarte: Mardi Gras.  Much better close up.


Bill was drawn to the Cezanne.


What a room, huh?  (That's the "good" side of the Picasso free standing in the room behind me.)
Then things started to get a little funky.  I don't know what this is.
It seems amazing that this is the same artist that did the little girl painting earlier.  Now he's including the small intestines.  And people are buying it.


What do you suppose this is representing?

(Interjection from Bill) I made the faux pas of thinking this was a Rothko.  They advertised Mark Rothko.
How embarrassing.
 (Bill again) Wait, are these the Rothko's.
No!  Rothko's circle and squares are so much more distinctive.
I'm just kidding.  I hate these paintings.
(Back to Jen) A painting of lined paper as art…do I look skeptical?
This Pollock at least has something to it.  Unifying color, texture, a fluidity.  You think you could paint this yourself at home but I'm not sure you really could.
We circled round to more conventional European art.  


EEEK!  Were the parents proud when this little monster was unveiled?  
George Washington looks a little like the dad in Modern Family, doesn't he?
This is my Ben Franklin face.    It's close…I think I might be a descendant.
I know no one wants to hear any comparisons to London but yet I feel compelled to add that the fact that most of their museums are free is amazing.  You can wander in and out and just enjoy little bits and pieces rather than feel like you have to see it ALL because you paid.  The Harvard museum was small enough that I think we saw most of it (we skipped some Asian art and some religious stuff) but there is pressure when have to get your money's worth.

1 comment:

didi said...

I see sailboats in the funky painting...