Sunday, June 29, 2014

Wimbledon

One of the gaps in our experience in England was to attend Wimbledon.  
Let's just check that one off the list.
For me, not Jen.... sorry Jennie.  
I received a call from the agency we are using for some hiring.  They had an extra ticket. 
Here is my Wimbledon experience.

The agency has a spot at The Gatsby Club.
 It's first class for sure.

I just noticed this picture splintered that guy on the right... sorry buddy.

The room was covered in green and pink.  They throw an army of waitstaff at you.  They did one of those presentations where they bring out everyone's food at once, eight waitresses marching in a row like ducks, all dressed the same.  I actually find that a bit disconcerting.  It's too formal for me.

There were dozens of greeters.  All dressed in this bright fuchsia.  Again, they are so formal.  I tried to joke around with the one assigned to our table and she took my little banter too seriously.  I stopped bantering.

I've been known to wear some pink, but good God this is a loud couch.  And it's shaped like lips.


I loved having an OysterMeister.  He walked around shucking oysters at our command.
OysterMeister!
Check out his metal glove.  It was a little Terminator-ish.  This guy looks like he has taken a life using that glove.  Actually he has, if you count the oyster.

A little mishap.  The guy behind me had sauce spilled down his back.  The crack waitstaff was rubbing him for a while to get the stain out.  A few minutes later I checked and it was gone.  Either they slipped out and bought him a new shirt or they are stain geniuses.

This is what I ordered.  I felt a bit of guilt over how decadent it was, but it felt right in the setting of Wimbledon.

Enjoying a cigar on a practice court.
This day was not suppose to happen this way, by the way.  In addition to being a surprise invite, the weather was scheduled for thundershowers all day long.  They were predicting they might get a set in late in the day.
Rain never came.  It was gorgeous, almost too warm.

A guy they called Gorgeous George drove us over to the stadium in the giant golf cart.  He was a wild driver.  It was fun to see the posh crowd all oo-ing and ah-ing with each turn and bump.

And then I was at the stadium.



They bought us a steady stream of Pimms.  Of course it was Pimms.

We watched the match between Li Na from China and Barbora Zahlavova Srycova from the Czech Republic.  
Great match.  They were evenly matched and played some fantastic volleys.  I rooted for Li Na because of my Chinese friends, so of course she was beat in an upset.





Outside the stadium you could have your pic taken with last year's men's winner, Andy Murray.
The women I was with posed with their hands on his genitals.  They were HR people too.  It figures.

What a great day.  I was even given free swag; a Wimbledon umbrella and towel.
I shouldn't have said that, maybe I can give them as a gift for someone ....







2 comments:

Lisa Roberts said...

Fantastic that you got in a day at Wimbeldon.Nice score.

didi said...

Sooo cool!