Monday, June 16, 2014

Happy Father's Day, Bill!

We spent the morning at an amazing estate in the isle of Bute called Mont Stuart.  Frustratingly, they did not let us take pictures inside which is a shame because it was full of details in marble, stained glass etc.  We did get pictures of the grounds and the exterior and maybe we can find some shots on the internet to show you a bit of the inside.

But in honor of Father's Day I will focus on our afternoon on the links.  That's right, I accompanied Bill on the local 9 hole course.  He kept referring to me as his caddy but I was really his photographer.

I loved the way this works - - the little golf clubhouse was left unlocked with signs that explained where the scorecards were and where to drop off the fees.  It was 15 GBPs per player which you put in an envelope with your car registration on it and drop in the box.  Clubs and bags are inside to use.  Clean toilets too, which I never pass up.
An experienced golfer will notice, however, that the clubs left a bit to be desired - no woods and no putters.  
 I went because of the views.  The course takes you up and down the hillside.
 Bill relied on Mr. Dibley for advice.  When Dibley was on the course, Bill's game really improved.  I wasn't much help actually - I did talk to Bill just as he took a swing once.  I know you're supposed to be quiet but I felt an urgency to say something inane at that exact moment.  
It's hard to tell in this picture but the course was almost vertical up to this hole.  Everyone warned us going in that it was going to be a hike. 
 But once you get to the top, you are rewarded.
 "Not the 3 iron, you idiot!" shouted Mr. Dibley.
Dibley even coached me a bit on my token putt.
 This was Bill's most acrobatic shot of the day.  Dibley couldn't bear to watch.
 The hotel staff was so nice - they made us a couple of ham sandwiches and even gave Bill a thermos to bring a few drams of whiskey on to the course.  He needed it after that last shot.
Where's Dibley?
We leave for Arran this morning.  Fingers crossed for good internet service and no blog interruptions!!

No comments: