Monday, June 9, 2014

Lazy Saturday wasn't so lazy after all

I thought it was generally a lazy Saturday until I saw all the pictures we took.  We got up late and finally made it out of the house for lunch in Chinatown.  Chinese is Bill's automatic go-to food (after the Subway Chicken Temptation but he knew there was no way I was going for that on a Saturday afternoon).  We sat at a table outside  - - but the real star of this shot is the toddler at the table inside with her family.  Love the chop stix mustache.  Well played, little girl.

 For some reason you have to knock at the door of this restaurant rather than just walking in.  That gave it an air of mystery above the others.  If I ever open a restaurant I'm going to put a sign up saying you have to knock to get in.  Maybe I'll call it "Knockers".  It's bound to be a hit!!
 Next stop - - Saturday was the opening of the new FOYLES BOOKSHOP!!! I know - I buried the lead.  What an excited day for all of us!!!!

 Ok, so maybe I'm the only one who cares.  But I love Foyles.  The new flagship store is beautiful.  It's only a few doors down from the original.  They had a several nice little touches to commemorate the big day.  Like this table full of "Grand Openings".
The books were all wrapped in white paper with the first page printed on the front.  The words were all blurred except for the opening line.  Do you know which book this is? (That's my way of dealing with the fact that I forgot.)

Just when you thought a day was too full of excitement to possibly improve…Bill and I went to a show at Wilton's Music Hall -  a gorgeous old theater that wears it's decay with dignity.  The worn out look is definitely part of the charm.  
We were here to see the Fitzrovia Radio Hour.  The whole stage show is set up like a 1940's radio play complete with "On Air" neon lights, applause signs and terrific props and sound effects.  They did three dramas and several advertisements.  Some favorite sounds - -balloon popping gunfire, bald head smooching, and drowning in a bowl of water.  There were also egg beaters, electric fan, tin pans clanging, watermelon smashing, bell ringing, and tin can talking.  We were running late and the train was delayed so I started talking about skipping it and just going to dinner but I'm so glad Bill didn't listen to me.

The music hall was great  but it was in the middle of nowhere.  We needed to find some place for dinner after the show and wound up walking right by the Tower of London and Tower Bridge all lit up at night.  Of course, our old friend The Shard was in the scene from this angle as well.  Here is London in a nutshell - old and new coexisting to create the city it is today.





This made me realize that I hadn't seen these landmarks at night before.  This just isn't an area of the city where we would come after tourist hours (and we left immediately after these shots so we could find a decent place to eat.)  Just when I think that I've "been there, done that" I get another look to remind me that I still have not exhausted this city.

1 comment:

Lisa Roberts said...

This is one of my favorite posts of yours. A day out in London took you to a great looking Chinese restaurant with adorable girl in the background, Foyle's and a show as well as seeing a new part of London at night which looks gorgeous. I love your shirt, Jen. I want one! I don't know the first line of the book. It doesn't look familiar but I love the 'grand opening's" idea. Looks like a fun book store.