Saturday, May 17, 2014

Fun Friday Night

It's Fun Friday time.  Only this time it's Fun Friday Night and Bill is along for the ride.
Let's turn it over to your tour guide Jen.
Here is your tour guide.  Or more accurately, tour guides.  Dibley joined us.
 

A lovely choir sang 'Pack up your trouble' .... again .... and again ..... I'm not sure they could think of any other transportation songs.  Let's see if we can find another song for them to sing.
CNN listed the following as some of the top travel songs of all time:
* Leaving on a Jet Plane - Peter, Paul and Mary (no jets in our museum)
* Homeward Bound - Simon and Garfunkel (not bad ... a contender)
* On the Road Again - Willie Nelson (this would be the one, except it's Willie Nelson.  He's about as British as Honey Boo Boo)
* Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen (again, not British)
I'm going with Homeward Bound.  Garfunkel looks like he could be a Brit.
OK - now this is Jen.  I clearly have to rescue this post because they weren't singing transportation songs.  They were singing songs from WWI.  Tonight's event was to open a new exhibit called Goodbye Picadilly about WWI and the home front.  London's buses and underground played a big part in both wars. I've been wanting to check out this museum and almost went as a Fun Friday morning event until I heard about this Friday Night opening.  There was so much to see that I feel like I only scratched the surface.

Have you ever left anything on a train?  (Hey, that's my keychain….)
The museum hit so many areas that I love - war, advertising and maps.  I think good advertising is at art and clearly so do the folks at London Transport. 


The history of the London tube was fascinating.  Harry Beck created that tube map almost 100 years ago and we still use a version of it today.  It just makes so much sense rather than trying to show real distances between the stations.  Well done, Harry.  The logo of a circle with the bar through it has also been around for about a century


Of course I loved all the war stuff - mostly WWII - but I didn't realize how much of what I know about number II actually happened in WWI as well (sheltering in the tube tunnels for example - why did I think that was only in the second go around?)

 Random Bill commentary:  One of the events was to make feather thingies.  It was funny to see adults creating their feathered fascinators.  The gentlemen below were obviously proud of theirs.

Mr Dibley enjoyed the visit. He's a train enthusiast.
Bill and Mr Dibley fit right in with this 1970's train display.
Ole Bill - at some point it's time to put the old machinery out to pasture...

I was surveyed before I left.  Top marks!

1 comment:

didi said...

It's a long way to Tipperary!