Friday, January 31, 2014

The Streets of Bangalore

WIth Bill on his way to Australia I thought I should share the last post from India.
____________________
Here is a potpourri of Bangalore images.

In my hotel there is a giant red sumo wrestler statue.  Remember, I am in India, not China.  It reminds me of the JFK memorial at Runnymede, where the Magna Carta was singed.  It's just random.

Downtown Bangalore.  This is surely a colorful city.  The visual stimulation assaults your senses.  It is brilliant.  The Indians love bright colors.  
But not in their clothes.  I wore some orange this week, as I am apt to do, and it really stood out.  To the point where I was asked today by a golf course worker "You like orange, don't you?"

Anyway, Bangalore .... senses being assaulted ....
Sound.  Noisy city.  I've talked about the traffic.  The horn is used in an "on your right ... on your left" way.  And between the tuk tuk and the motor bikes, someone is always inches away on your left and on your right.

Scent ... yes, Bangalore has an odor.  Not real pleasant.  I gave Sam the hypothetical of doubling his salary if he lived here a year.  He immediately said yes, because he is greedy, then thought about it and said not because of the smell.

Touch.  No personal space here.  Especially when shopping.  Vendors leap up when a non-Indian approaches.  It takes three plus "no thank you's" to shake them.  They are rude to each other.  A busker/beggar approached our India GM and he immediately told them to F-off. 
I also have an invasion of my personal space in the company bathroom by the attendant, but I'll save that for talk over drinks.

And finally taste.  Those who love Indian food, really love it.
I can't take it.  It's not just the curry.  Even Subway has a certain Indian aftertaste that I'm just not assimilating to.

This guy will never misplace his sunglasses.

My only tuk tuk ride (three wheeled scooter) was scary.  I've gotten used to the lawlessness driving, but this guy zipped in and out as if I were a pregnant lady who was crowning.

As frighting as the tuk tuk ride is, being a pedestrian in Bangalore is like what it must feel like to be a character in Grand Theft Auto (any gamers in our audience?  wrong demographic, I fear).  Fortunately I had our INdia GM to help me across.

Hey, when in Rome ... or Bangalore

And finally, back to the hotel.  I stayed at the Ritz Carlton (I'm no fool).
But even the Ritz had it's quirks.  I had to postpone dinner tonight and come inside while they fumigated the outdoor dining area for bugs.  If I were more concerned with such things it may have bothered me.  But they wiped my table down and that was enough for me.




No comments: