Wednesday, January 29, 2014

How to spend a weekend in India

My friends in India gave me many suggestions on what to do with the free weekend in Bangalore.  They suggested my visiting the many sights in the area, including Mysore.  Here is a write up about it:

If you haven’t been to Mysore, you just haven’t seen South India. Conceited though it may sound, this is not an overstatement. An ancient city with more than 600 glorious years of legacy, Mysore is one of the most flamboyant places in India. Known for its glittering royal heritage, bustling markets, magnificent monuments, cosmopolitan culture and a friendly populace, it is also a thriving centre for the production of premium silk, sandalwood and incense. It also flaunts considerable expertise in yoga and ayurveda, two trades it markets worldwide.

 It sounded fantastic.  It was also three hours each way by car.  Cars that scare me, if can be frank.  So I passed on Mysore this time and went golfing.  I am a horrible person.  I feel a bit bad about not taking in the country while I had the chance, but, you know, it's golf.



See, I saw some scenery.  Nandi Hills (in the background of the 5th hole)
 The course was lousy with snake hotels.  I was told they were good snakes so I didn't have to worry.
 I was told to take a picture of this tree.  It's Charlie Brownish to me, but I'm not schooled on such things.
 There you go ... big hitter, the Lama.
 Here is me and my new friend, Srinivas.  He caddied for me on both Saturday and Sunday.  He tried to teach me some of his native language, Kanataka.  I learned left was heda and right was bala.  The word I used most was kertadu.  The word for bad.... as in bad shot.  None of these words are spelled right because when I went to look them up in an English to Kanataka dictionary they only gave the scribbly spelling.
 The opposing caddy.  I felt like I had to play well so my caddy would win caddy wars.
I don't think my caddy won caddy wars.

1 comment:

didi said...

Love hearing about your trips!