Thursday, January 23, 2014

Scenes from a wedding

I had the honor of being invited to my friend Rakesh's wedding outside of Bangalore, India.  It was one  of the most wonderful experiences I've had.

The actual ceremony was in an ancient temple.  The rituals included flowers and rice and prayer and really, really high spirits.  One of the biggest differences I saw in this wedding ceremony and the Christian weddings I've mostly been part of was how heavy the rhetoric is for a Christian wedding and how happy his service was.  Everyone was just so happy.

                                     


I love this picture.  A family member keeps putting things on Rakesh's head while they are concentrating on the spiritual message the priest is having them repeat.

And this is another of my favorites.  Look how happy they are.
Behind Mahduleena (she goes by Leena) is Rakesh's aunt.  She has lived in North Carolina for 40 years and is a hoot.  I loved getting to know her.  She invited me to stay with her any time.  Her son is a golf pro at Pinehurst (pro champions are played there), so I have to tell Jen that when we go back to the states we're going to stay with Rakesh's aunt.

Rakesh looks like he just got away with something.

At the risk of criticising the tradition of this lovely ceremony, the band was, how can I say this tactfully, brutal.  The priest would raise his hand when he wanted them to kick it up a notch and tell them when to knock it off.  The drums were incessant and the long horn belted out an inhuman sound.  But as grating as The Fingers on the Chalkboard Band was, it totally made the day even more special.  I can't explain why, but a more polished band would have taken away from the personal charm of the day.

It took someone six hours to paint Leena's hands and feet.  Isn't this cool?  I was going to ask to take a picture of her feet but caught myself before I was labeled as a creep by my new friends.

 It rained rice on their heads throughout the ceremony.  I'm sure they are still finding it coming out of their body.

After the service was the reception.  Don't be deceived by the sober expression.  It was joyous.  Unfortunately, they had to greet 400 people, one at a time in a reception line and anyone would be beaten down by that.  These are Leena's and Rakesh's parents.

The beautiful couple.

I made a huge faux pas.  Rakesh gave me this traditional outfit to wear at the wedding.  I only found out after that I should have worn this to the ceremony and my suit to the reception.  I did the opposite.
How was I to know?!  Sam made sure he pointed out a dozen times that I was the only one wearing such an outfit.  The jackass.
Rakesh gave him one to wear too, but he said he was going to wear it lounging at home.

My partner in crime, Sam.

3 comments:

didi said...

What an awesome experience, Bill. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos.

chi said...

Ditto! WONDERFUL - even more please!

Unknown said...

Perfectly described Bill.. Yo!