Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Return of Eric

I find that I can handle ageing when measured against the slow steady growth of my kids.  It becomes a bit more difficult when I start measuring my age against the grandkids growth.  But when I think about how old I am after seeing one of the kids childhood friends who I haven't seen in years, it's a kick in the tail.
Eric popped over to hang with Bret tonight.  It's great to see them together again after going their own way after high school.

 Eric is the reason for our infamous sex education talks we gave the kids every New Years.   I was driving Eric, Bret and Joey around when Eric was telling Bret a fictional story about where babies came from.  He and Bret had to have been around 10 years old.  I figured if we had reached the stage where Bret was going to hear about sex, et al, from his friends then I better jump in and give him the truth.  Joey was asleep, fortunately.  That was the first of what became an annual tradition of giving the kids straight talk about sex.  We felt good about being the parents who could talk to their kids about such things.  That is until Bret told us that he was going to become a father at 18.  The talks ended abruptly after that.
Welcome back, Eric.  Hope to see more of you.

No comments: