Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Last Parisian Post

Sunday in Paris.  First stop - The Little Black Dress exhibit (brought to my attention by my Fitbit pal Nancy!)  This was actually an American exhibit put on by SCAD,  the Savannah College of Art and Design (the same place we bought our favorite painting of the guy in the aviator helmet).  But it was right on my path so I decided to pop in for a look see.
 Who doesn't like a little black dress?
 It was hot and muggy but I persevered....onward to the stalls along the Seine.  The books are all in French but I still like looking at the variety and the maps and prints for sale.
 Marriage Freres is the famous tea emporium of Paris.  Although I'm set for life with all the tea I've bought in England, I had to pop in for a few leaves.
 Anyone who know me and Paris knows that this would be my destination - Shakespeare and Company, the English bookstore on the left bank.
 I look a little deranged in this pic but after taking half a dozen selfies this was the only one where I caught the name of the store and didn't have a big fat face.
 This is a little donation bank in the floor of the bookstore - the note says it's a fund to feed starving writers.
 I was tempted to buy a few books but my suitcase was already filling up fast.  TAMPA was very tempting though...but adding the weight of a hardcover I could buy anywhere just didn't make sense.  And yet, the jacket cover was a cool velvety material....no, too heavy, don't do it!!
 Upstairs in the bookstore was a piano that anyone could just sit down and play.  A customer was playing book browsing music while I was there.  
Didi and I met up for lunch.  She decided to take the morning off from sight seeing so while I was rambling around the city she was lounging with her ipad and a book.  
Sadly, that's the extent of my photos on Sunday.  Anyone up on the news would know that Sunday was the finish to the Tour de France.  Diane and I are NOT up on the world news so we didn't know that until we got to Paris that weekend.  We were only a few blocks from the Arch where the cyclists all rode around 10 times in honor of the 100th anniversary.  There was a big light show as well.  We know, because we watched a few minutes on TV.  What is the attraction to a light show in the side of a wall? Come to think of it, what is the attraction of a bike race?  I just don't get why anyone wants to be a spectator at these events.  I'd rather be out to dinner and then tucked up in bed with my book - which is exactly where I was.  As the wonderful Lucia (by EF Benson) would say, "Au resevoir, Paris!"

1 comment:

didi said...

Jen logged an impressive 22,000+ steps on her solo trek around the city!