Tuesday, October 30, 2012

London Weekend Day 2 - Markets and Hats

Seems like every little London neighborhood has it's own Sunday market.  Columbia Road has a flower market down the middle of the street leaving two narrow little corridors of sidewalk to go into the shops.  The shops are all independent little boutiques that are quite fun so it's worth squeezing your way through the crowd to check them out.  We really really really wish we could justify spending a few thousand pound on this little gem.  Wouldn't that look great over the TV in the living room??  
 Everyone was buying up gorgeous inexpensive flowers and plants but I had to restrain myself since I knew anything I bought would expire before I could get it home.  We did manage to get some nonperishable goodies at the shops and stop for a cuppa in a little cafe behind the stalls.

 One of my purchases of the day - a new hat!  I can't let Bill have all the headgear in the house.  I don't have a picture of the Spitalfields Market (which we need to go back to soon - too much to see and too little time) or the IMAX theater where we saw Skyfall.  The BFI (British Film Institute) has the biggest screen in London (according to the announcer before the movie) and James Bond was suited to the larger than life effect.  They showed a preview for The Hobbit (pass) and the new movie version of Les Mis which had me singing along with Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe.  That's definitely on my To See list - without Bill I suspect.  Anyone want to come to London to go to the movies with me?  Be warned that I will be quietly singing along.  "Red, the blood of angry men....Black, my world if she's not there...."

No comments: