Sunday, October 5, 2014

Let go of those Lego's

Well we just had to see one of CNN's top 10 'Must See' global exhibitions.
Off to East London.  Spitalfield's to be more precise.  Just around the corner from where Woodman the Beaver was discovered.
 Long lines on a Saturday.  
 State of Disarray, ever opportunistic, dressed up one of their workers in a cat suit to lure Lego lookers to their weird store.

Only three minutes and five second before we start our tour.  In order to get the full experience, please wait three minutes and five seconds before scrolling down.

Jennie can't wait!

Plenty of time still to take selfies before the three minutes and five seconds elapsed.

And we are off ...... 

From this angle the thinker looks more like the guy with I.B.S.

Jen with a far away stare.... she's pondering the magnificence of this art work.  Or she has a gas bubble.

 The art reproductions were pretty fantastic, I have to say.

Munch's Scream .... in Lego's

A nice little Van Gogh... Van LEGgogh ..... get it?

This may have been the best one.  Rembrandt.

Close up of Rembrandt.

A nice little Monet.

The Girl with the Plastic Lego Earring - somewhere Vermeer is not amused

Some Wally left his empty coffee cup on the display.  It was probably an American.
Ugly Americans!

How do you like them apples?
I love that scene in Good Will Hunting, one of my favourite movies, but one Jen dislikes.
It may be the thing we disagree on most.  We'll have to have a top 10 Jen and Bill disagreements blog.

We start to branch out into oddball territory... Our artist likes to have thing growing out of other things, as you will see later.

But first, globes.

Resting on a little Lego globe.

I like those globes!

Well done... the splashing water was particularly impressive.

I feel bad for doing this, but I'm going to be a little snarky.  At the beginning of the tour the artist showed a video interview.  In it he explains how he used to be a lawyer, but had a creative side.  He said things like 'I don't know where I get my inspiration.  It can come from anywhere ...'  The he kept repeating 'art is not optional'.  They sold t-shirts that said 'Art is Not Optional'.
Then there were these little summaries next to the art.  We are bad people.  Each one we read made us laugh louder.  They are really crap sayings.
It was only at the end we realised they were written for kids.  They were still crap.  
(Note from Jen - If these cheesy affirmative statements were written for kids wouldn't they be at kid eye level? (they were not) Plus, look below at Building Red - is that a message for a child?)

Our artist has apparently discovered hallucinogens.

Rubbish....
I like the faces.  They were my second favourite after some of the painting reproductions.

Jen's better at this game.

He's clearly out of his head at this point.

What is he saying?  Just build lego things, please.

More things coming out of other things.

This is when Jen burst out laughing, causing a little scene.
'I don't like days like that!' (imagine a mocking tone)
You'd think his wife or partner would be there to stop him from writing these stupid things.  He or she would have said, "Take it down a notch, honey.  Lose the 'I don't like days like that!'" 
Then I remembered that this guy spends his whole life in a room with Lego's and figured there is no way he has a life partner.

Peek-a-boo

The artist did this amazing self portrait, then left out a piece and wrote one of his odd little sayings about it.  He was so close to it being perfect.

Still, he does amazing work.

Nice looking Beatles sculpture.


Iconic British phone booth to end the exhibit.

We were glad we went to this exhibit.  Both for the amazing art and the unintentional humour.
If I were to add anything to the show it might be an R-rated section.

I wish these were mixed into the show.


A little poo humour always adds to an exhibit. 

3 comments:

didi said...

Some of these are really cool. Liam would be disappointed there aren't any Star Wars ships.

Mom said...

These are great. I like the little solar system.

Team Strunkin said...

This post is brilliant! Love the art and hate the words of wisdom - I too would have laughed out loud and note in "Stairway" - I believe there is a typo - "more often that not" - shouldn't it be "than not"?
How on earth does Jen not like Good Will Hunting???
But back to Legos - my house is overtaken by Legos and Kirill is very close to his savings goal for the 3,800 piece Lego Death Star! I imagine I will have an even better appreciation for this artist when I have to help put that thing together.