Thursday, October 23, 2014

Booker Prize - Year 3

I remember when I first came to London I was SO excited to get a ticket to see the Booker Prize readings.  That's like going to the Oscars of books!  How was it possible that a little redheaded girl from the colonies would attend such a gala event?

Well, ok, it's not quite that gala.  In fact, the reading night is for the rabble.  It's the next night when they  announce the prize that is the gala but what did I know?
 Flash forward to October 2014. 
My third year at the prize reading night.  
It's just as exciting but in a different way.  Now I know the drill.  I've been here before.  
I am a fixture on the London Literary Scene.  
So who did I see?  From left to right - Ali Smith, Need Mukhurjee, Howard Jacobson, Kirsty Wark (the moderator), Karen Joy Fowler, Richard Flannagan and Joshua Ferris.  
I have to admit that I hadn't read any of the short list this year.  It was my silent protest against not including either of my two favorite Davids (Mitchell, Nicholls).  I also was not happy about the addition of the American authors into the competition but they turned out to be quite charming (Ferris, Fowler) and they each won me over in their own way.  
There was fashion dichotomy - Ferris on one end in his slim jeans and striped socks and Smith on the other who looked like she just finished cleaning out her garage and hopped in a taxi to the event.  With her fly down.  
Still, the night was fun and it was great to keep up my tradition for another year…where will I be October 2015?  

No comments: