Sunday, February 3, 2013

Work work work

I spent a couple of days in London for work.  When you are holed up in conference rooms it feels like we are discussing the fate of the world as we know it.  It's amazing how after a couple of pints it all seems less important....


When I arrived in London I decided to take a walk along the Thames instead of taking the tube to London Bridge.  Mapquest said it was a couple mile walk, which was fine even though I was dragging along my luggage.  I walked a mile the wrong way before I realized it.  By the time I made it to the hotel it was after 11:00pm and I had walked about five miles.  What an idiot.
But at least the sights were spectacular.  Below is Parliament and Big Ben in one shot and The Shard in the other.  The Shard just opened and is said to have the most impressive views of London.  Tickets for the viewing platform are 30 pound each.  It's the tallest building in Europe and will be selling luxury apartment in the 2 million pound range.  The panoramic views on a clear day (yes, there are plenty of clear days here, you cynics) are 40 miles.
Even though it just opened there are stories of randy couples punching their ticket to the Shard version of the mile high club in the mens room on the 68th floor.  At this stage of my life I'd be happy just to say I poo'd in the mens room of Shard's 68th floor.




This is the Russell Hotel where I had my meeting.  It's gorgeous.  Check it out when you come visit us.

We will have pictures of our weekend but I forgot the camera cord to upload.....

1 comment:

amp said...

When Whitney and I visited London a few years ago, I made a similar miscalculation about the distance of a walk from our hotel to her office via the Thames. It's a big-ass city, especially compared to Boston.