Monday, February 18, 2013

Ladies who lunch (with Bill) in London

Caroline and Geraldine are vacationing in London this week so we met them at Paddington station and walked to Marble Arch for a little lunch.    On the way we stopped to pose with the horse head - a 35 ft bronze statue. I started to google it to find out the significance of the horse head but I lost interest before I could find anything.  I just like how it looks.  
 After lunch we walked over the Marylebone High Street so I could introduce them to Daunt Books.  C, G and I used to be in a bookclub many years ago (now we are summer brunch buddies at Stephanie's on Newbury Street) so I knew they would appreciate the esthetic of Daunt.  Bill stood outside with his cigar and took a few pictures.

The next thing I know, he's suggesting the cigar bar and they are all for it!  The girls didn't smoke (although we got plenty second hand) but we felt very posh surrounded by stogies.  I didn't realize that Bill's cigar bars are all really outside terrace spaces that have been mostly enclosed to make them feel like an interior space.  There were heat lamps to make sure we were comfortable and servers catering to our needs, bringing drinks and lighting Bill's cuban.  Maybe I'll be hanging with Bill in more cigar bars in the future.


2 comments:

chi said...

You were steps away from my old flat on Harrowby Street!

Jen and Bill said...

We were!! We had lunch on Seymour Place. If I'd known I would have taken a picture of your old place- - is there a blue "Christin lived here" plaque?