Saturday, November 29, 2014

Oitavos Dunes

Friday was my golf day on our holiday in Lisbon.  I had a 9:48 tee time at Oitavos Dunes, a top rated course in Europe.  
It is located on the west coast of Portugal and 20km outside of where we are staying.
Without a car I had to be creative in getting there.
Took a taxi to the train station on the other side of Lisbon.
Took the train to Sinta.
Took a cab to Oitavos.

I didn't eat breakfast, figuring I'd grab a pasty from the clubhouse.
Wrong.
They offered cookies, but no food.
They told me that the cart girl would be around and I could buy something then.
Only she never showed...
Come on, Oitavos Dunes!
And I forgot my fitbit, so I threw away 30,000 steps.

My little setbacks were quickly dismissed once I got out on the course.
This view below is where I chipped in for a birdie.
What a beautiful course.  They made a big deal about how they worked with the Audubon Society to preserve the dunes.  The good news is that it feels like the course just grew into the land.  The bad news is if your ball strays into the marsh, tough shit.  You can't get it.


My fabulous day is in jeopardy as lightning and thunder roll along the water.
 Getting closer.
 And I'm wet.  Fortunately, no lightning, just some driving rain for about 20 minutes.  If Dave and I can battle the wind and rain at Carnoustie, then this little shower was not going to slow me down.
In fact, I parred the hole after the rain started.
I'm better in the rain!
 Check off another country in my quest to golf the world.


No comments: