Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Cambridge Part 2 - Kettle's Yard

While we were in Cambridge last week, Chris, Earle and I went to wonderful house museum called Kettle's Yard.  
 Jim Ede was a curator at the Tate Gallery in the 1920's and 30's.  He and his wife filled their house with art and set up displays of objects  - then they opened it to the public once a week, inviting people in to experience their home.  
They left the house to the University of Cambridge in 1966 and now it is open to the public daily.  When you enter you are invited to sit and experience the house but you cannot touch any of the displays.

I loved these round stones.  And it was very tempting to pick one up but I retrained myself.
Who's that red head in the bathroom?  Very tempting to pick up as well, I'm sure!!
This was one of our favorite corners.  Turns out it was one of Jim's favorite too.  He was opposed to electric light but in this corder he did put install a lamp in order to enjoy his books.
I loved this area as well.  

The house was big and airy and yet very comfortable and homey.  
(Side note, the Brits say "homely" in this instance but to us yanks that means ugly.  How did the salt air of the Atlantic change the meaning of this word?)





Sitting and experiencing the house.


None of the beds looked very comfortable. They all had thin mattresses and looked pretty hard.  We weren't allowed to sit on beds so I can't tell you if this is actually the case but if I were to move in I would make a quick call to 1-800-mattress.



You gotta love a house with penguin classics.    Also known in my house as "little yellow books" (referring to the aged pages - not the color on the cover).
We started our experience late in the day so when the sun set the house closed and we were asked to leave.  (Remember, there are not many electric lights in the house.)  But our time there was perfect.  

No comments: