Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Golf Wrap Up

In Carnoustie we took on one the most challenging courses in the world.  The locals all laughed when we said we took on the 50 mile per hour winds.  We struggled through 18 of the most difficult golf holes ever.  
After we, again, persevered where the Scots didn't, Dave said "This is why America is the only super power remaining".
 Following a sideways rain shower we were treated to a lovely bow of rain.
 Dave dressed as Johnny Cash for a round at The Fairmont.
 When we hit St. Andrews I was reeling from the beating Dave was giving me.  It all changed when I got myself Colin the Caddie.  Colin is a psychotherapist by day, caddie by other day.  He was a great guide and coach.  Meanwhile Dave got Dennis, the old guy in the back who contributed to the day by telling Dave to "hit it straight" and then show us the topless page 3 girls in the paper as he checked on the horse racing.  
I shot the round of my life, including parring the 'hardest par 4 in the world'.  I shot an 86, which means nothing to anyone but I wanted to record it for posterity.  A good golfer would laugh at this score, but mediocre/bad golfer Bill was ecstatic.
 The saga of Dave's golf bag finally ended.  Three days late, Dave and his bag were finally reunited.  The bag saw more of Scotland than we did.
 Ruler of the golf world.
Bow before me.
My dominance was short lived.  Dave came back and crushed me on our final day.  We stayed at the Dalmahoy.  It was a good way to ease back to real life after our weekend of being treated like royalty.  Shitty hotel.  Worst designed building ever.  We wandered around the hotel looking for our room like Spinal Tap looking for the stage in Cleveland.

We lucked out this week.  Perfect weather.  Experience a variety of the best courses in the world.  Dave and I got to hang together.  We may not ever have this type of trip again, but I'll forever remember this one.

1 comment:

didi said...

Awesome photos. I think this could become an annual trip, and the girls could spend the day at the spa while you guys golf. (ok, Jen can shop and go to bookstores too.)