Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Odd Couple

My visa arrived today which means that it's only a matter of time before I'm out of Atwood and onto Brocas Terrace.  And Bret will get the house to himself.
It's interesting that at 46 I'm the Felix Unger of this couple when in my early years I was absolutely an Oscar Madison.  (Remember that fish tank full of dead fish, Mummy?) But rather than dwell on the condition on Atwood, I'll focus on the movie reference.

Sunday night Bret and I watched Barefoot in the Park - a favorite! - which made me think about Neil Simon's limited repertoire.  All of his movies are centered around two people or sets of couple who are opposites who attract despite their differences.  He really never deviated from this formula from The Odd Couple to Biloxi Blues to Murder By Death.  I guess if it ain't broke, why fix it? 

 Classics from Barefoot:
"He moved out - didn't you notice his suit case, mother?"
"He's always so formal - I thought it was the garbage."
--
"It wasn't until we were married that I realized you didn't sleep wearing a tie!"
"Only for very formal sleeps."

Pure gold.

When I was a kid I watched old movies all weekend on channel 56 and 38, rain or shine. I watched Arsenic and Old Lace, Philadelphia Story, The Incredible Mr Limpet....I loved them all.  Later, with cable and dvds, there was never a reason for Bret and Joey to watch old movies - new movies were always at their finger tips.  I'm so glad that wasn't me, that my options were limited to whatever slapstick comedy or film noir was on one of two channels for the day.  Sure I watched a lot of crap.  But those all day movie marathons gave me a film education and a fantastic range of movie knowledge that I wouldn't trade for anything.  

I'm happy to say that Bret sat through the entire showing of Barefoot in the Park with several audible laughs.  Before I go I need to get him in front of His Girl Friday, To Kill a Mockingbird and Casablanca.

This also just triggered a memory of Andy telling me that he was in the opening credits of the Odd Couple...I think Andy's rather creative fibs are a post for another day...

5 comments:

Jen and Bill said...

Love this post.... we blew it not showing the kids "Mr. Limpet"! i loved that movie...

Mom said...

Remember? Do I ever! You've come a long way, Oscar!

didi said...

I wish I were a fish! Love Mr. Limpett!

amp said...

you just loved DonKnotts so very much...

Patrick said...

I recently watched "Barefoot in the Park". I was surprised the actress who played the Cories's mother was Mildred Natwick. She played Widow Tillane in my all time favorite movie "The Quiet Man". If you haven't seen it then you need to put that on your short list.

Also another great Neil Simon movie was "The Goodbye Girl".