Friday, September 28, 2012

Cleese and Christie can't be wrong...

This is what we saw as we were driving to Southwest England - "There was a stonehenge monument in danger of being trampled by a dwarf."  We didn't stop because we visited back in 2000 and I doubt that since it's been there before Christ that it's changed much in the past 13 years.  However, it does sort of symbolize the fact that I love every minute when we drive here.  I am endlessly entertained by green grass, grazing sheep, buttery yellow stone walls, and trees that form a tunnel over our car.  (I decided to spare you all the many blurry photos of sheep and  tree tunnels that I snap at 80 mph)
We arrived in Torquay and went out for a walk as soon as we checked in.  Unfortunately, we didn't bring our umbrella and were quickly soaked by a downpour.  Below is our B&B - a great last minute deal.
 View from our B&B (just before rain)
 This is Torquay.  I actually didn't know anything about Torquay when I picked it out on the map other than it was the right distance from home for our first stop on the way to Cornwall.  And since it is the fictional setting for Fawlty Towers (if you haven't watched John Cleese's series Fawlty Towers - do so immediately!) I figured it was a must do.  When we arrived I found out that it is the birth place of Dame Agatha Christie. I also found out that Torquay is well past it's prime.  I think I can officially say that seaside resort areas are simply not for me.  Throw in a ferris wheel, some run down arcades, and the decor of Natick's old Shopper's World mall and you have Torquay! Of course, we were seeing it off season in the rain - timing that would make any seaside resort seem a little sad.
 Now I don't want to imply that I wasn't happy to be there.  Despite the newly discovered fact that I never needed to be in that type of town again, I did see the beauty of the harbor and we had a fantastic meal at Number 7 - a fish restaurant where they bring around a tray of the fresh fish cuts on offer that day.  We had Cornish beer, scallops (maybe the best ever) and I had the fish sampler entree with three different fish and sauces - - delicious!!!  We walked home fat and happy.
The next morning the sun was shining and Torquay suddenly gained a little charm.  I'm not even sure what these beach huts are used for (changing clothes?  drug sales?  murder?) but I suspect that everyone who visits Torquay has one of these photos in their album.  
On to Cornwall....

No comments: