Thursday, December 11, 2014

Mapp And Lucia

Bill left for India so I'm on my own for a few days.  I'm already filling my calendar with very Jen-like plans that Bill will be happy to miss. 
First…a trip to Southbank…Everything was lit up and festive looking.

 In one direction is a Christmas market but I only did a quick lap since I had a ticket to an 8:30 show.
 Time for a quick selfie en route in case you forgot what I looked like.
 My event was a sneak preview of the new adaptation of Mapp and Lucia that will be shown on the BBC over Christmas.  I am so excited for this new version.
Mapp and Lucia is one of my all-time favorite series of novels by EF Benson about a small coastal town in England in the 1920's and the social circle that all try to one-up each other.  The show stars Anna Chancellor and Miranda Richardson as Lucia and Mapp respectively. (I told you it was Jen-like!!  Imagine Bill saying, "You went to Mapp and Lucia without me?!?")

“The hours of the morning between breakfast and lunch were the time which the inhabitants of Riseholme chiefly devoted to spying on each other.” 
― E.F. BensonQueen Lucia

“Miss Elizabeth Mapp might have been forty, and she had taken advantage of this opportunity by being just a year or two older” 
― E F Benson
After the screening we had Q&A.  The director, the writer (who also played Georgie in the middle above) and Miranda Richardson were on hand to answer questions.

There are only 3 episodes (a "series" is so short in England!) but I hope they do more. This is definitely good fodder for NPPS!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Georgie looks absolutely perfect. Just the way I picture him. Again, I am so-o-o envious.