Sunday, December 14, 2014

Cambridge and Candlelit Carols

Jules and I took a little day trip out of London.  We spent the day in Cambridge (where Jules went to University) and had lunch with her school friend Jacqui and her mum.  Good conversation, delicious food, and a bottle of red set us up nicely for an afternoon of shopping.
Let's shop!!
 The streets were lit, the carolers were out, and everyone seemed to be in a festive spirit. We actually struggled to spend our money until the end of the day but we made up for it nicely in the last shop.
 Back in London I went directly from Kings Cross to South Kensington to The Royal Albert Hall.
 When I was looking for something for my solo Saturday night, I landed on the last available seat at the Candlelit Carols concert.
 The RAH was on my must-do list and it did not disappoint.  Beautiful!


 And the concert was TERRIFIC!  The Mozart Festival Orchestra and Chorus did a mixture of classical pieces and traditional carols dressed in jewel toned 18th century garb and white wigs!  But it was not a stuffy concert - the conductor was very chatty, told jokes and got us all standing up and singing along.
So many of my favorites (Zadok the Priest, Messiah, In Dulce Jubilo, O Come All Ye Faithful, etc) and readings from Dicken's A Christmas Carol and the Linus speech (I know it's technically the bible but after 40+ years of Charlie Brown Christmas it's Linus to me.  Especially when he says "For behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy…").  The only thing missing was Go Tell It On The Mountain  (yes, that is a Christmas song).  
I sung the whole way home.

No comments: