Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A Tale of Two Oscars…The Atwood Tale

Before Bill and I moved to the UK we always watched the Oscars with neighbor Laura so this year I was happy to resurrect that tradition.  We watched in front of a roaring fire at her place with our steak and blue cheese salads from the tavern and a bottle of wine.  
We especially love the red carpet action.   Lady Ga Ga arrived in red rubber gloves in case she needed to wash dishes while she was there.
 Neil Patrick Harris is always good…although I thought he was a little subdued last night.  The opening song was fine…but nothing special.  And I could have done without Jack Black's input.  Although it's interesting to recall that NPH and Jack Black were two of the few celebrities that visited our old pub the Duke of Kendal! Remember their pictures on the wall?  Maybe they came up with this number over a pint at the sing along?  Anyway, the Oscars are usually good for a few laughs but I felt like the jokes were a little flat last night.  Anyone else??
Laura and I didn't dress for the red carpet but we still looked good.
 Mickey was on edge waiting for Best Cat in a Motion Picture.  We told him this would be the big finale.
 We even had movie theater style popcorn!
 I was very happy that Patricia Arquette won - she was fantastic in Boyhood.  I love that she isn't skinny and over primped. During one of the pre-show interviews her hair was disheveled as if she just cleaned out her basement.  Maybe she could borrow Lady Gaga's rubber gloves….
Overall I was happy with every single win for Grand Budapest Hotel - - loved that movie.  And although I really liked Birdman I was sorry that Boyhood didn't take home more little gold men.   The best part of the night was the salad, the popcorn and the company.  And award for Best Cat in a Motion Picture goes to…..

1 comment:

didi said...

I like NPH, he was ok but not super funny. I still think Ricky Gervais was the best award show host.