Monday, September 15, 2014

Selfridges

Harry Gordon Selfridge invested £400,000 in 1906 to build his department store on the then shabby Oxford Street.  One hundred and eight years later I visited the store on a walkabout in London.

I don't know what Harry would have thought about the current day Selfridges.  
Behind me is a girl in a bikini selling ....something.  I don't remember.

And equal opportunity was given to the naked man.

Mating Hippos.  Pretty sure Mr. Selfridge did not have mating hippos in his corporate mission statement.

The shop windows are the best at Selfridges.  Always cool.  Never boring.  Top shelf, for sure.






I don't know who this big sculpture represents, but it is impressive.



Editors note:  I just googled Selfridge statue and found out that this is designer Rick Owen.  He and Selfridge's just unveiled a new collection after 20 years of collaborating together.  Sadly, I have never heard of the "iconic" designer but you can see the story here:
http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/21455/1/on-oxford-street-watch-out-for-a-25-foot-rick-owens-statue

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great pix as always Jen Jen xxn