Friday, September 27, 2013

This is the one where Bill golfs with sheep

While Jen immersed herself in her world of books I got to have two, yes two, golf dates with myself.
I would have liked to have a golf buddy with me and almost had a couple of locals commit to join me.  Dave, our B&B owner had to feed other customers (he could have left out some flakes and milk), the old oil safety guy we met was going to a two day week next week so he wasn't available, and an old guy with a cane said he would have joined but needs to heal his knee (that's what golf buggies are for, sir).  So off I went alone, which was completely fine.  Golf alone is the closest I come to meditating.  

This is the view, albeit foggy view, of the course at Kington.  It's the highest altitude course in the UK. Fascinating golf experience.

 Every hole is littered, literally, with poo.
 Here is why there is poo on every hole.  Hundreds of sheep roam the course freely.  The course steward said they often get hit with golf balls but brush it off casually.  I suppose they munch on the tall grass which saves on groundskeeping costs.  I scattered a few sheep with a stray drive.  Never found that ball.
Throughout the course there were these little huts.  They have stones lined inside so I can only assume they were little outhouses.  This sheep must be the bathroom monitor.  Mother Entwistle can think of a witty pun for the bathroom sheep name.  I thought of Sheep of the Shitter but I'm not happy with that one.
 Wish it wasn't so foggy so you could see the view.
I will tell you that this country course was poorly marked.  I was on a nice roll parring the first four holes, when I got lost finding the fifth hole.  I wandered around swearing under my breath and finally phoned the club house asking where the hole was.  It wasn't until I hung up that I realized I did not play the fourth hole, I played the 15th hole.  I had to go march all the way back and lost a spot in the flow to a twosome.
At the 7th I waited for the twosome to clear a hill before I teed off on a blind shot (can't see where you are suppose to hit it because the green is behind a hill).  I hit my best tee shot and only realized when I reached the top of the hill that the two guys were much closed than I thought.  I didn't find my ball, which was right down the middle of the fairway.  Which I took to mean that they took my ball because I hit down on them.  Never got to apologize to them so I guess their stealing my ball was fair.  The Welch are a sensitive lot apparently.

My other golf experience was at Tenby.  Tenby is a coastal links course (high grass, undulating fairways, many hills).  It was brutal.  I lost more balls than those sheep at Kington will lose.


 This is the Tenby version of the outhouse on the course.  No sheep to monitor it so you are left to go at it alone.  There was a sign that it was an eco toilet and everyone had to sit down to do their duty (doody if you are Diane).  I stood up and peed on their strange toilet.  Tenby has too many rules.

 The most egregious of these rules is the new smoking ban on the course.  The old timer with the can told me it was because they had a drought years ago.  Wales has to be one of the wettest places in the world and their worried about brush fire.  I waited until I got out of sight and sparked up out of defiance.  As I said, Tenby has too many rules.

I'm the baaaahhhd boy of golf.  (get the sheep tie in?)

1 comment:

Mom said...

They're the Loo Ewes, reporting for doody.