Sunday, June 16, 2013

Travels with my Aunt...and Mr. Dibley...and Mr. Collins!!!

Do we start every weekend post with "we took the train to London"?  Well....we took the train to London.  For some reason the train inspires us to take selfies.  We had quite a photo shoot on this ride and I know we posted a similar shot on FB but here we are in color.
The weather was a mix of sun, clouds, high winds, and torrential downpours but our daytime activities corresponded pretty well to get us under cover at the worst of times.  More on those activities tomorrow.  Towards the end of the afternoon Mr. Dibley was dying for a little pick me up - a book (for me), a cigar and a podcast (for Bill), and a cuppa for everyone outside at Canal Wharf.
Saturday night we had tickets to a play at The Chocolate Factory - which was, in fact, a converted factory from the 1870's.  It was a great setting with only 180 seats. I don't know if there was a bad view but we had perfect positioning three rows up center.  

 Mr. Dibley loves the theater but kept asking when we were going to make chocolate.  I assumed that was in reference to the theater name and not a euphemism for any bodily function.

The play was Travels with My Aunt - the Graham Greene story - performed by four men who rotated through all the roles effortlessly.  Their base role was as the nephew Henry and they each had two or three other set roles (one was always the aunt, one was the South African lover, one was the young girl Henry meets on a train, etc) that they went in and out of these characters so fluidly that there was never a moment of doubt about who was speaking etc even though you're looking at four men in identical suits. 

My theory that there are only about 2 dozen actors in England who keep reappearing in everything was supported by the fact that David Bamber was in the show.  You and I know him as Mr. Collins in the quintessential BBC production of Pride and Prejudice!!  Hopefully you can recognize him from these shots. (first in the middle, then on the right)  
For two hours I was in a room with someone who knows Colin Firth.  I'm getting closer....


No comments: