Friday, June 21, 2013

The Old Operating Theater

Last night I tried to keep the photo trend going.  We went to see The Cripple of Inishmaan staring Daniel Radcliff (that's Harry Potter to you and me) but my reputation preceded me.   There were signs and announcements everywhere that no photography was allowed at all in the theater.  Bill said, "They've heard of you.  And you've ruined it for everyone!"  We had great seats again but I was on the end next to an usher.  As they were taking their bows at the end I tried to pull out my phone and was immediately told not to take a shot.  This hasn't happened before at the theater so I assume it's in Daniel's rider -  only green m&ms and butter beer backstage and no pictures in the theater.   

So our post today is about another kind of theater - - The Old Operating Theater in London.  This was part of our Sunday afternoon adventures. The operating room is the oldest in Europe, built in the late 17th century at the top of a church garret.  It was sealed off for many years rediscovered and turned into a museum 50 years ago.  Most of the space was related to the herbs and tools that they used hundreds of years ago. 

This was at the entrance:



Mr. Dibley was horrified.  "If I ever require maggot wash - let me die in peace."

These were used for amputations.  Bill tried one out and it worked pretty well!!



No comments: