Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day!

 To celebrate Memorial Day, Bill and I took a little trip to Highgate Cemetery.  (Actually, we didn't connect the cemetery to Memorial Day until we were halfway through and noticed that many of the graves were being tended.  We really aren't that bright!)

Anyway,  Highgate has been on my list since we first arrived and I was not disappointed.  I love a good cemetery and this one has got it all - interesting grave stones, dead celebrities and lots of overgrowth.  I could easily see how spooky this place could be in the dark.  But we were there on a glorious sunny morning so no ghosts were around.

Here are some of the famous and interesting....William Foyle who started Foyle's bookshop, Douglas Adams author of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...
 Anna Mahler, an Austrian sculptor...
 Jim Horn, partner at Penguin Books (this was one of my favorites!  Isn't it great??)

 Patrick Caufield, artist.....
 Karl Marx (whose monument was really quite ridiculously big) and George Eliot (aka Mary Ann Cross)....
Many of the graves next to trees were completely uprooted.  These folks clearly didn't read Shelly's Ozymandias in school.  


No comments: