Saturday, August 24, 2013

Voyeuring in Windsor

We went out for dinner and drinks with Chris.  He's the new leader of the UK team who is here from the States.  That's his thumb in the picture.  I think he was a bit suspect of our blog so wasn't sure he wanted to be in it.  I think he assumes I'll be prosecuted for swan eating so he wants to keep his distance.  
Let me state for the record that I did not eat that swan.  (but I bet he was delicious)

Meanwhile, we got a picture of our Bel and Dragon waitress.  She is an adorably, quick witted girl from Ireland.  She running a marathon next week.  
In the afternoon I went around Windsor and looked at flats for him.  The estate agent took us to two places where the people were still in the house.  I don't know about Chris, but I'm totally distracted by the people in the flat.  I have no idea if the place was the right fit because I'm too busy thinking about the life of the renter.  One family,  a mother and two kids, was moving back to Birmingham. I had a whole sad story in my head about how they have gone from bucolic Windsor to the mean streets of Birmingham due to some bad job luck.
The other flat had a woman from Minnesota who came for a six month assignment and has been here three years.  She was sad about going back and had been drinking wine and crying.  We woke her up when we came unexpectedly to look at her place.  It was 5:15 in the evening.  Poor thing.  We thought about it too late that we should have invited her for a drink with us  But that may have seemed creepy.  Two guys enter her apartment, look at her stuff and invite her for a drink.  Best we left her to her weeping alone.

The apartment hunting made me wish I was an estate agent.  I'd love to hear the stories of each renter.  If there was a show where someone went house to house and talked to each family for 10 minutes to hear their stories, I would totally be in.
Same stuff, different cigar....

No comments: