Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Frogmore

A few times a year they open Frogmore Estate to the public.  I missed the last time so I was excited to see that Monday I would be able to check it out.  Frogmore Estate sits on the grounds of Windsor Castle but is closed off by a gate and hidden from public view.  It has been the home of many generations of Royalty.   In particular, Queen Victoria, who built a Mausoleum after Albert's death.  They are both buried there but that was not open to the public.    The Duke and Duchess of Windsor (Edward and Wallis) are both buried on the grounds although the graveyard was also closed.  I thought they spent a fair amount of time at Frogmore but they were not mentioned by any of the docents or highlighted in the guidebook at all.  I guess the less said, the better?
Unfortunately I couldn't take any photos inside the house and there were docents in every room so I couldn't sneak any.  But the gardens were really beautiful and I took a lot of shots in my stroll to and from the Long Walk.




 It's amazing that all this is so close to my daily walk on the Long Walk.
Wouldn't you love to be secluded from the world in this little hideaway?