Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Jen and Bill Went to Hampton Court Palace too....

It was nice of Mr. Dibley to let Bill and I tag along on his outing to Hampton Court Palace this weekend.  
I did the audio tour but Bill doesn't like anything with the word "tour" in it.  So he followed along and took pictures of me listening.  


This is what it would look like if I was Sarah Churchill...or if Sarah Churchill looked like me.  I actually don't remember why there were headless bodies wearing white muslin clothes in this room.
I think Bill should paint something like this on our ceiling at home.
Hampton Court Palace has the oldest "real"tennis court.  It's been in use since the 1600's.  It was even in use while we were there.  It's indoors and smaller than the courts we know with different lines and it looked like the players were hitting the ball against the wall like racquet ball....anyway, I liked this sign.  I think Bill might be the reincarnation of the Regency Dandy!  I don't even understand why he has Hughes in his name twice.    His nickname was "The Golden Ball".
Hampton Court also boasts the world's largest productive grape vine.  Sorry to say I didn't take a picture of it but it was planted in 1768 by "Capability" Brown.  We run into Capability at many of these  manor houses because he was THE name in landscape architecture in the 1700's and many of his designs still seem to be in place.
Is Capability a nickname you want to have?  Being capable seems sort of average, utilitarian, maybe even under achieving.  Would you hire a landscaper named Underachieving Brown?  You'd always feel like your garden didn't quite live up to expectations. 

No comments: