Monday, August 26, 2013

Our Day at the Races

Bill and I took the ferry to the Windsor Race Track today.  We could easily walk to it - in fact, it's a stone's throw from our house except on the other side of the river - but it seemed like taking the boat was part of the excitement.  We put on our best racing gear and planned to pay the for the mid tier enclosure ....only to find out that today was "let in the rabble" day and every one got in for a flat fee of 8 GBPs and had access to all areas. 
It took us a while to figure out how to do it.  Because it was such an open admission day, the usual betting windows were closed and people just lined up for one of these three bookies.

This is where they showed the horses off before the race.  Bill and I pretended to be able to tell which one was going to win by how feisty it was in the display ring.

This is one of my picks....no so feisty.
Bill was desperate to be part of the elite.  He went into the club house (top tier admission) and wanted us to settle in to one of the private rooms.  But without anyone there or any bar or food service I didn't think it was so appealing.  Plus there was barely a view of the races.
Bill - relaxing between races.  We call the bow tie and light suit his Southern Lawyer look.
Finally decided the grandstand gave us the best view.  Strangely, the races were run on a loop waaaaaaay far away from all the spectators and then they just ran down the last stretch so we could watch the finish line.  Is that the norm??  I expected them to go around the track in front of me but I guess I won't complain on 8 pound day.
Here they are at the finish line!!

Bill told me to pretend I won big!!  ( we lost every bet )
I don't think Bill or I have to worry about becoming serious gamblers. You probably have to win one to get hooked.


No comments: