Sunday, February 2, 2014

Saturday - Kensington Walk

I started the day looking for a few winter bargains so I'll start the blog post with lunch.  I had a wonderful one right here:
It doesn't look like much from the outside but on the inside its like walking into a farmhouse in the French country side with baskets and dried flowers and candles in wine bottles.  They sat me at this little table in a corner at the top of the stairs.  My book and I settled in with a glass of house red.
Then the food came - so much of it!!  I had the meat pie of the day (steak and kidney) and it came with three different bowls of veg.  I didn't eat it all but I was tempted to because it was soooo delicious.  Doesn't it look lovely?  So I was well fed and happy when I left to go meet the walking tour.
Before I even got to the tour, I stumbled on this little alley.  Everyone on this little walk way has created a lush green oasis in front of their house.  The effect was so charming.
 I got to the end and had to peek in...
 Wouldn't you love to sit here in this quiet, beautiful patio in the middle of the city?
Got to meet the tour - - time to hustle….

The guide was very knowledgable and had plenty of gossipy stories along with fun facts and history.  Charles Dickens' mistress Nelly married the clergyman of this church and gave him a family - he never knew about her past.

 We heard about the tax on windows that lead to many windows being bricked up to avoid the tax.  In the 1800's homes were even built with windows that were bricked up so that if the person could afford the tax it was easier to unbrick than to put a hole in the wall later.  Many of these homes can not undo the bricking now because of the historical significance.  
 I seemed to be the only one snapping shots on this tour.  I decided to lag behind since she wasn't making any photo op time.  At one stop she pointed out the house where Virginia Wolfe grew up which was across the street from where Winston Churchill lived after he left No.10 but didn't actually walk us by either of them.  I'll have to go back at some point to get a better look.
 This metal frame would hold an oil street lamp.  The arm on the side is where the lighter could put a ladder to climb up.
Canning Place Mews - - Looks more like the original stable than my mews.  The guide explained that the carriages were often in the garage and the horses would be on the upper level with the servants on the level above them.  The first balcony has steel girders to support the extra weight of the horse and there would be a ramp at the end for them to go up.  
At the end of the tour the guide told us about Kensington Roof Gardens at the top of one of the buildings.  Its now owned by Richard Branson and there are three separate gardens along with several clubs and restaurants.  It's hired out for events but when it's not, it's open to the public.  Of course, this is not the ideal time to see it - it must be amazing in the summer - but it was still pretty incredible to think we were up on a roof in London.  

 There's the shard with the London eye in front of it….and cranes, of course.
My last stop for the day - Harrods.  I am continually drawn to Harrods but as soon as get in I hate the crowds and I get frustrated and want to leave.  But I can't help doing a lap of the food hall...

These pictures don't make it look crowded but believe me, it was.  Still, it does look very pretty all lit up.


1 comment:

Jen and Bill said...

I love this post. I get to learn about the tour but don't have to GO on the tour. Perfect. And Jen hears things that I would miss.
Ironically, I gave a training on listening skills today. Ironic, eh?