Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Dinner at the Warrington with Caroline and Geraldine

On Friday night we had dinner with Caroline and Geraldine.  They come to London every year in Feb for a week and they happen to always stay at a hotel around the corner from our new flat.  So it was perfect for a few get togethers. 
I chose this pub for its looks  - gorgeous victorian detail, mosaics, stained glass windows, leather chairs and sofas.  And because I saw that they have sticky toffee pudding on the menu and I knew Caroline was on a quest to have as many as possible before leaving England since it's hard to find outside the UK.  

Geraldine was very good about dodging photos - she's almost as good at dodging them as I am at getting in them.  But we needed to post at least one of her from this trip so here she is  pouring a hearty glass of red.
I was surprised how empty the dining room was for a Friday night.  The pub down stairs was fairly busy.  Our waitress told us she came to England from Italy without knowing anyone.  I'm jealous how many European folks can easily come here to live and work.  I wish we could just wake up and say, I think I'll live in France for a year, and go do it.  Of course, I wouldn't choose France because despite 18 years of classes I can barely say croissant.

For the record, I could only eat half of that enormous dish of sausage and mash.  But it was gooood.
Cheers Caroline!  It was great to see you guys!
Drill Sargent Jen had everyone walking to and from the pub - it was only about 30 mins each way and after that sticky toffee pudding we needed the exercise.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sure Caroline and Geraldine enjoyed their brief stay in London. Good idea in taking them out for dinner along that area as well. That restaurant looks really great, both in exterior and interior. It looks like you guys enjoyed the food so much, too. It’s so nice too that they stayed at a hotel near your flat, so you didn't have to worry about all that travel time. :D
Jeff Riley @ Happy Guests Lodge