Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Life Changing, Indeed

Buy this little book.
The London Times exclaimed that Marie Kondo is 'Japan’s preeminent guru of tidiness, a warrior princess in the war on clutter'
If Marie Kondo is the warrior princess, Jen and I have become her tidying foot soldiers.
After reading the chapters on tidying clothes we went to work.
For the better part of a weekend we tidied like we've never tidied before.
First you purge.  Clothes that no longer elicit joy are given a viking funeral.
Well, not quite a viking funeral, but we were to thank each item for their service before we found it a new home.

The lucky little items we kept were then folded in the Konmari method.  Everything stands upright.
Marie suggests separating a closet with little shoe boxes or the like.
The result is a drawer where you see all your clothes, beautifully displayed, ready for service.
This is Jen's workout clothes drawer. 
These are Jen's scarf drawers .... after purging.
They all give her joy.
Do not ever buy Jen a scarf for a gift.
Here are my tshirts and shorts.
My socks.
This is my favorite drawer.  I used cigar boxes to separate my bow ties and pocket squares.
I find myself opening the drawer just to look at my fine work.
More tidying to come, but already we are on our way to a tidy life.
We are nervous about the paperwork chapter.  And the area next to my bed is too daunting to think about right now.  That's for another weekend(s).
For now though, my picture of my bow tie drawer will be placed in my wallet next to my family photos to give me endless joy.

1 comment:

amp said...

Are you going to do Kondo for books too? That was much harder for me than the clothing part!