Tuesday, October 22, 2013

London Sunday Meals

Sunday I was on my own so the day revolved around three things:  books, movies and food.  First priority was breakfast.  I bought the Sunday Times (an actual newspaper - old school!) and went hunting for a cafe that was not part of a hotel.  Of course, when you are looking for something, it suddenly becomes elusive.  On my way, I walked past this plaque.  I wish now I'd take a picture of the street.  It was a quiet residential street with a private park across the street.  It's difficult and sad to imagine what that summer day must have been like.  A lot of take in on an empty stomach.
 Success!!  The perfect little spot to settle in for the morning.
 I ordered the vegetarian full English.  Look at that pile of mushrooms!  Yum....



My next food stop was in Clerkenwell.  This was a tease - I walked over here to check out the bookstore but found it closed!  So I punished myself by sitting across the street eating a scone and looking at this shuttered building.
The rain came at a perfect time to duck into a matinee. I took in the 3:45 showing of "Filth" starring James McAvoy.  I recommend it but it obviously wasn't for the faint of heart since three people in front of me left after 20 minutes of bad language and despicable acts.  It's not called "Filth" for nothing.

The day ended in utter bliss:  room service and Downton Abbey.  This is way I was meant to live.


1 comment:

didi said...

I notice a sausage on that vegetarian breakfast.....