Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!!!

It's the first day of another blogging year.  We've spent many frustrating hours fiddling with the layout.  Bill finally got it to a place we can both live with after mysterious font changes and phantom template edits.

Since I spent much of 2012 with my nose in a book, I wanted to share my top 10 list.  These are my favorites that I read this year but they were not necessarily published this year.  In no particular order:
  • The End of Your Life Bookclub by Will Schwalbe
    • I resisted this for a while thinking it would have too many life lessons.  The life lesson turned out to be to stop resisting really good books with life lessons
  • 11.22.63 by Stephen King 
    • King!!!  Did you see this coming?  Not sure if any of this others could hook me like this one did
  • Persuasion by Jane Austin 
    • I'm embarrassed to just be getting to this one at 46.  Must read Emma right away to avoid future embarrassment....
  • A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness  
    • YA - many tears
  • Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
    • YA - more tears
  • High Rising by Angela Thirkell 
    • Can't wait to read all of her Barsetshire novels
  • Gillespie and I by Jane Harris 
    • This was the first book I read this year and the book that all others had to live up to.  Most did not.
  • Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
    • I still long to be back in 1930's NY with Katey Kontent
  • The Age of Miracles 
    • YA again!  Tears again!
  • My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier
    • So far Du Maurier has never let me down.  Not quite as embarrassing as not having read Jane but I think I need to catch up on Daphne as well

Honorable mention goes to Comfort and Joy by India Knight which was a re-read this year so I didn't include its greatness on my list.  Obviously I'm a sucker for coming of age books with well-written teens who are grappling with death.  And when in doubt - the classics like Jane and Daphne will always be good company.

We have yet to take a picture this year but maybe one will be added.  In the meantime, I hope I've given you all a few good titles to kick off 2013.  Happy Reading!!

3 comments:

didi said...

Totally agree on The Age of Miracles as well as 11.22.63. Now I know what I'll be reading for the rest of the year.

amp said...

I need more tagging of your picks. Which are scifi/fantasy, please? And I can't read 11.22.63 because I'm afraid the plot is too similar to a novel in my head that's been rolling around in there (with all the others) for the past decade. So, if it's that good, then more incentive for me to extract the in-my-head novel (called 14 Cards), and then read the damn Stephen King masterpiece. Hmm.

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry to tell you that there really aren't any scifi/fantasy books on the list...although Age of Miracles is about the Earth slowing its orbit so the days become really really long and changes the environment etc. But it's really a coming of age story for a teenage girl.

Give me a recommendation and maybe we can get sci fi on my list in 2013.

I can't wait to read 14 Cards!! :-)