Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sofie's Choice


 
Last night I went for dinner in Brussels fish market.  I had a lovely lobster while sitting outside on a clear, brisk night.  A woman walked up to the restaurant, inspecting the menu.  I decided to help out the restaurant by giving the woman my favorable opinion of my meal.  It tipped her over and she went inside to eat.  She sat in the window overlooking my table and at one point made a gesture to ask if she could join me.  Sure, I nodded.
Jen worries that when I make small talk with strangers while traveling about that they will cling onto us.  This time she was right.  
Sofie, from the Eremites,  tried to teach me a little French.  She said she was going to bake me cookies.  It was one of those unpredictable random interactions that I love about this assignment. 
But before I knew what was happening I was paying for her.  It wasn't until she left the table for home that I realized I was played.  A day later I'm still trying figure out her schtick.  Was this an odd form of prostitution.  In return for getting someone to pay for her chocolate cake she offered....what?  French lessons?  False promises of baked goods?

I told the story at work and was told to watch out for the Brussels prostitutes.  Apparently there are a few flourishing Brussels brothels.  Who knew?

Brussels prostitutes are the draw of Belgium red light districts, and with good reason. With an increasing number of Eastern European immigrants available, Brussels prostitutes and brothels continue to draw thousands of men for pleasure each year. Ladies of the night in Belgium brothels aren’t the same for tourist as they are for locals though. Everyone who knows Brussels is aware there are two distinct classes of pleasure houses; touristy, and local. The differences are many, both in prices and quality. Prostitution in Brussels has a rich history and is a big part of the Belgian culture. But if you’re new in town, the best thing you can do is educate yourself before taking part in any action. Not only will you stay safe, you’ll save hundreds & enjoy a much higher class of ladies than any tourist can imagine.

No comments: