Friday, June 10, 2016

Things we didn't do in Venice

Bill and I are perfect travel companions because we mostly want to do or not do the same things.  And the things that we each like to do on our own (golf, smoking, bookstores, etc) we know how to accommodate.  
A good example is St Mark's Square.  We both agreed we needed to go there and see the famous square.  We took pictures.  But neither one of us had any compulsion to get in line for the church.  I have no doubt that it's beautiful and I'm sure if we could be inside it by ourselves we would enjoy it.  But to get in line on a hot sunny day and circulate through it with a million other people just was not on our agenda and we were both happy that way.
We also agreed that the gondola ride was a complete racket that we did not need to partake in. It was crazy money for a brief paddle around the canals and just felt "fake".   I think one good litmus test is: do the locals do it?  I'm pretty sure they don't.  
Sadly, I also didn't buy one of these leather bags.  I'm still angry about it.  I assumed I could come back the next day but when I got there, they had closed early.  Lesson learned - if you like it, buy it now.
I'm not sure if this lesson applies here or not….Bill also did NOT buy this suit.  We looked at it in the window several times and he DID buy another red plaid jacket but this suit didn't quite fit and they didn't have another size.  This looked great in Italy and I think that London Bill would have bought it in a heartbeat but I'm not sure I can see him wearing it on the streets of Newburyport.  Which is sort of sad, isn't it?

No comments: