Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Kitchen Tour

Last week I took a tour of rich people's kitchens while Jen was up in Maine. It was the beginning of Newburyport's Yankee Homecoming events.  Here is a little summary of how the event started 58 years ago.

Whether it is Old Fashion Sunday, Family Day, Evening Concerts, Fireworks or any of our other wonderful events. As we celebrate our 58th Homecoming I want to reflect on our past history and traditions as well as the remember and honor the US Coast Guard who has not only helped make our city what it is today but also had a large impact on Yankee Homecoming.
In 1957 Jack Frost had the idea to bring families back to all six New England states in hopes that they would see the beauty and history of our area. He wanted to restore pride and interest in all New England cities and towns which had been forgotten. Yankee Homecoming was created as a way to not only show what we had to offer but to revitalize our local economy. George Cashman agreed to be Newburyport’s first Yankee Homecoming General Chairperson. He realized the impact Homecoming could have in our downtown area which had been suffering from its own slow economy, as well as the importance of the US Coast Guard. Each year our festival is held beginning on the last Sunday of July and held for 8 consecutive days to celebrate the birthday of The US Coast Guard and the City of Newburyport and all it has to offer.


I started my day with a breakies at the Atomic Cafe.

Then is was off to visit the rich.
I really didn't care about the kitchens.  I wanted to just feel how it's like to live as one of Newburyport's aristocrats.

The first place fed us clam chowder on the deck overlooking the Atlantic.  Yes.
This is how Jen should be living.

To make sure I stayed grounded in my middle class roots I stopped for lunch at Mad Martha's cafe.


Then back to the tour.  So many kitchens have white cabinets.  The upper class are boring.


I liked this table on the deck.  Out of range for our patio?  Perhaps, but let's keep our goals high. 
Another white kitchen.

Jen should have this sofa cover.  It's pre-stained.  That way when she inevitably spills, no one will notice.

Oh look, white cabinets.  The rich must all hire the same kitchen designer.

Nice house, but better location.  Overlooks Plum Island basin.

It must suck to get the seat with your back to the window.

My favorite stop was a loft over the book shop.  In fact, it's owned by the guy who owns the bookstore.


Notice the dark cabinets.  Finally.

When we do our kitchen over I would like this sink.

Loved the pergola.  I must have a pergola, too.


I didn't make it to all the houses.  When I just snuck in before 4:00 to see my final stop I mentioned to the owner that I didn't get to see the house on Washington Street.  He told me it was his favorite.
Some people have no filter.  Why did he have to tell me that.

1 comment:

didi said...

Love the farmers sink, the pergola, the decks!