Sunday, August 17, 2014

Not Early Enough

I started the day doing something that I'm surprised I have not done before…I got in line to try for two of the day-of tickets to Skylight (the show with Carrie Mulligan and Bill Nye).  It was obvious that I was a rookie - I showed up at 20 minutes to ten and the line was already way too long to be promising.  
No tickets for me.
I spent the morning in the shops and then met Bill for lunch at Barnyard which was recently written up as one of London's top ten restaurants.
That's not a urine sample, it's my barnyard shandy - lemonade, lager and gin.
And these are our meals.  They were absolutely incredibly delicious but the tiniest portions of food ever.  My piece of beef was dwarfed by a pickle spear which only adds to the perception that there is not a lot of food on my plate.  We each had half an ear of corn on the cob served stuck on a giant screw and tipped into a mug with lots of melted butter and spices in the bottom of it - decadent and so delicious.  I just wanted MORE.
I have to admit that when we left I thought I would be starving and searching out lunch #2 but I was actually satisfied enough to go on with the day knowing that I could get a snack at tea time.  Maybe I'm the one with the warped perception of portions?

Speaking of #2 - Bill took these in the men's room knowing that our readers would get a kick out of the name on the toilet. I just googled Thomas Crapper and found that he, in fact, did not invent the toilet as I thought in the past.  He was a plumber who increased the popularity of the flush toilet and invented some related bits and bobs including the ballcock (which is really even better than inventing the toilet, isn't it? 
Do you think competing plumbers had t-shirts made that said "Nevermind the ballcocks"?)

After lunch we wandered into Seven Dials - -a free show was going on.
We did a little people watching and saw the performers come out doing this conga line but then decided to move on.
This is me looking up something on my phone….doesn't it look like Bill captured a ghost in the photo? Like one of those stories where you didn't see it in real life but when you get the picture developed, there it is!!  
I didn't notice her at the time but I think she's one of those performers who pretend to be a statue heading off to work.
More on out next destination tomorrow.

No comments: