Thursday, October 29, 2015

Shopping at Home

All my friends are using on line shopping services these days.  You answer a lot of questions about your size and style and once a month you get a curated package of goodies to try on at home for a small monthly fee.  Buy what you like (applying the fee to the cost of goods) and send back what you don't.  Call me a lemming but I decided that I needed to try it too.
My first month wasn't very successful.

But when I opened the box at first it was full of promise!!  Something about the tissue paper and the message that the clothes were selected especially for me made me think that this was going to be the moment that I became really fashionable.
First let me explain that real models do not smile.  Open any Vogue or Elle magazine and you'll see that the models pout or look like they just just had a lobotomy.  I decided to go with the lobotomy look for this fashion shoot.
In what universe is this t-shirt a size small? Maternity wear?
This top fit, but I wasn't crazy about the zip front or the harsh geometric pattern.  But the color was good.
This top was super comfy. The material was so soft I wanted to curl up in a ball and hibernate in it.  The color was also a really nice blue but you can't get that at all from the photo.
But it was big - and not just because of the dolman sleeves.  Bill said I looked like a bat and rejected it immediately.  I said it was a legitimate style but he was not convinced.
This was clearly a sale item left over from summer.  Which I guess is ok but when you only get 5 curated items you want to be able to wear them right now.  Of course there were other problems -it looked like a bathrobe.  It was sheer and I think a teenage with other funky clothing could pull it off but it just reminded me of one of Nana's housecoats.
The really winner was the brown wool belted sweater jacket.  Worn loose it was…ok….but belted I looked like Obi Wan Kanobi trying to negotiate with the Jawas on Tatooine.
Goodbye fashionable (?) box of clothes.  I've already gotten an email that they are hand picking my November selection.  Stay tuned for next month's surprise package.

2 comments:

didi said...

Hey, I could order stuff for you from Ann Taylor on your cc, you could get a surprise delivery, keep what you want, return what you don't, and I wouldn't even charge you!

Team Strunkin said...

Nice Star Wars reference! This blog post is fantastic - can't wait for next month's attire.