Monday, September 28, 2015

Booktopia Continued

Since this week I'l be posting about Booktopia I figured I ought to include some books.  
Lisa and I went for a walk along the lake and ran across this little gem.  Nate Nick's Ittle Lib Ary.
I hope people really use this - it had several good books in it.
Monday morning was the Hemingway tour.  Petoskey has a lot of Hemingway history.  Unfortunately, most of it isn't very visual but this guy had a ton of stories.  Hemingway grew up in this area and came back here after he was injured in the war.  He drank and partied and fought with his family here. 
This was the boarding house where he wrote.  Much of this material was lost when Hadley left his satchel on a train.  The house is now a single family residence.  I wonder if it's weird to have a group of people stand in front of your house every day and take pictures of it.  Obviously this family knew the score when they bought it…would that be a selling point of something to knock down the price?
And now for some of my favorite pictures of the trip. 
At dinner, Lisa's mom Jo Ann found out that she was sitting next to the author of one of her favorite books….this was her reaction:

I would think that kind of reaction would make an author's day, wouldn't it? 
The author, Janis, turned out to be fun and ready to hang with the cool kids.  So we took her over to the post dinner bar.  (Hemingway drank here.)  We taught Janis about upper deckers.  I'm hoping that in her next book someone will do an upper decker and I'll know she has me to thank.  (For those of you who don't know here is the Urban Dictionary definition: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=upper+decker) 
As you can see, these events are all about seeing people we don't usually get to see.  Melissa and I were so happy to see each other back at the hotel….
But also sad that some of our buddies couldn't make it.



No comments: