Friday, July 3, 2015

Bellflowers

Shortly after Jennie and I got together she left the company we worked for and bought a flower shop in Newton.  She left the software world and jumped in to risky world sole proprietorship.  
In retrospect, it was not the best timing in terms of our finances.  Jen and I were just venturing out together and between my income being spread out over two households and the flower shop not being what you call a cash cow, we had to learn how to live light.

We don't regret any of it.
Jen was a great florist.  She learned how to run a business where the goods lasted a week at best.  Her clients were demanding.  She did it mostly alone, with the occasional help from me and others on busy weekends and holidays.

I learned how to put together arrangements, but I kept trying to include asparagus in every arrangement.  I tried to convince Jen that the asparagus would be our signature 'flower'.  It was a stupid idea, akin to the sink series.
I was delivery boy.  Without GPS, in the confusing streets of Newton, I was lost.  There always seemed to be a street that was cut in half by a major roadway.  I would be on the right street but couldn't figure out how to get to the other side.  On Valentines Day Tim and I delivered to a business that was closed for the weekend.  We left the arrangement at the doorway, praying that it wasn't stolen before they opened on Monday.  We sucked.

But around all the stress, we had a lot of fun.  Bret and Joey sold lemonade one Saturday in front of the shop.  Friend volunteered to help out on holidays.  Jen's little shop became part of a community.

Alas, Jen realized the lifestyle was not sustainable so she took a job back in the world of software support.  Shortly after celebrating her one year anniversary, she shut it down.  

I try never to miss an opportunity to brag about Jen owning the flower shop.  I'm proud of her for taking that chance. 
But if she ever has the itch to run her own business again I pray it's a cigar shop. 





3 comments:

didi said...

Drinking on the job, Bill?

Unknown said...

Best post ever..very sweet and romantic..loved reading it and seeing the vintage picture.

Whitney said...

that was a great little shop! I loved it.