Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Brooklyn Jazz

Bill and I are spending Thanksgiving in New York this year.  Remember Anthony, Bill's young bartender pal from the Datchet Golf Club when we lived in Eton?  He and his girlfriend arrive tonight and we meet up on Thursday to see the parade and enjoy Thanksgiving dinner.  
When we were planning this trip the buses and trains were already quickly selling out and the prices were sky high.  "Let's drive," Bill suggested and it sounded like a good idea.  I'm sure halfway through the 6-hour commute he was probably regretting that statement.

Our reward at the end was Bar LunAtico.
I should add that we also struggled with accommodation - the hotels were crazy money and decent airbnbs in Manhatten were hard to find.  We ended up in Brooklyn  - the price was right, the place was beautiful and had great reviews. We checked in and hustled out to get a bite to eat.  This little gem was around the corner.  A 3-piece jazz band was playing and the menu had charcuterie and local beer.
 The band was terrific!  Just accordion, bass, and drums.  It wasn't until they finished their set and got up for a drink that I noticed the drummer was blind.  He had just played an amazing solo!  I guess playing an instrument is something you do more by feel than by sight but this really impressed me.

Dinner!
Bill and I will both work on Wednesday (I love being able to work from anywhere) so we aren't on holiday yet.  But for now I'm just happy to be out of the car.

No comments: