Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I confess

Faithful blog commenter, Diane, will recall a breakfast at Stella's in Newburyport several years ago when Bill and I accidentally revealed what we will be like as a crotchety old couple in the not too distant future.

Bill: "There is a new electronic reading thing....I think it was called a Grundle..."
Jen: "KINDLE!!!!!!!!!"
(Ok, I'm the crotchety one in this scenario - but you all knew that was coming, right?)

Yes, dear friends and followers, I have a Kindle, but I can assure you all that it will not stop me from buying books - real paper and binding books - for the rest of my life. I'm willing to admit that the Kindle has a place in the reading world. Good for travel, good for immediate gratification, good for buying that book that you may not want to spend $25 on the hard cover but for $9.99 you're willing to give it a try. But while I may travel with a Kindle, my souvenirs will always be local books (shipped home by the store - I've learned my lesson).
I have officially read 1 book on my Kindle and I liked it. Although I found myself obsessed with the little progress report at the bottom of the page that tells you the % of the book you read. Going up each percent was an event. I kept telling Bill, "I'm at 33%!" I'm hoping I will get over that soon (and so is Bill).

Of course, I never go halfway on my purchases (in fact - I bought the 3G version assuming that because it was more expensive, it must be better) I also bought the cover with extendable light to go with it.

All this being said, I will always love what Bill calls my "yellow books" - here is one of my classics:
"This guy had taken over. He had my dog, my wife, my clothes, my ears. He was THE MAN WITH MY FACE"
NOT available on a Kindle.

1 comment:

didi said...

One of my favorite Nbpt memories -- KINDLE!