Saturday, July 30, 2011

I was hoping for Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get it On"

Our neighborhood put on an event at the park around the corner, Atwood Park. It was mainly for the kids, as you can see by the bounce house. I used to love the bounce house as a kid, but as I look back I can't figure out why. The generator they use to keep them pumped up is as loud as a jet. And even though pre-pubescent kids don't yet smell when they sweat, the bounce house smells an awful lot like a high school locker room.
Growing up, the reason I liked them so much was really because I hated the other rides at the fairs because they made me nauseous. I remember reaching that age when I was the biggest person in the bounce house and feeling self conscious. The inner struggle I had on the ride back to college was epic.
Our little park party also had entertainment. The singer was pretty good on certain covers of songs. He tried his go-to move a bit too often, the falsetto. He hit about half of them. One particularly painful note came on the Neil Young song "Old Man". It cut right though us like the string section I remember from Joey and Bret's second grade concerts.
The most entraining part of the party was when this dude would take a break. He put on his iPod to play old 80's rock in between sets. It was awkward when Billy Squier's "The Stroke" was cranking in front of the mostly grade school kids, but when Kiss' "Lick it Up" belted out a parent rushed for the sound system and shut it off. High comedy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What, no Rod Stewart, If you think I'm sexy?