Monday, July 18, 2011

Cape Cod Baseball

We spent part of the weekend with Noelle, Tim, Thomas and Alexander at the Cape. (Didn't have access to the internet last night at our B&B so we missed a nights post).
I went to my first Cape Cod baseball game, which I've been saying for years that I wanted to check off my list. The highlight of the game was when the woman home plate umpire (a rarity, unfortunately) got hit in the nose with either a ball or the catcher's mask. We felt bad for her for a while. But when she held up the game for 45 minutes we had enough. She just made it harder for other women umpires to be accepted. Whenever an ump gets injured enough to leave the game, they do just that. Leave the game. She sat on the ground while 4 other women attended to her. Tim and I were muttering to each other about how they should roll her off the field and get on with the game.
Alexander and I were responsible for the home town Brewster Whitecap's team comeback. They were down 6-2 when we started twirling our rally chicken necklaces. When the Chatham team came up we pointed our magic chickens at them to hex them. It worked and Brewster caught up. Alas, we over-hexed and the charm wore off long enough for Chatham to hang on and win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope the ump didn't cry, cuz we all know there's no crying in baseball!