Monday, June 29, 2015

Go West, Young Man!

Shortly after I became the manager of the licensing team at work about 16 years ago I hired Patrick.  It was so strange when we realized that he knew my mother -  his job prior to this was working for the bank where my mother worked.  Everyone who worked at the bank knew my mom because all the lunatics and crackpots who complained would get escalated to her. And there were always plenty of crazies at the various branches to send her way.  
Patrick then brought another banker to the team. Chris was hired to be my boss and the three of us worked together for years…so even though we've all moved on to new roles within the company, it still seems like the end of an era that Patrick is moving to San Diego.
I loved working with Patrick - he was serious about getting work done but was always good for a hearty laugh.  There are some people in the world who just fit right back into place when you see them - -  no matter how long it's been since I've seen Patrick we can always pick right up with a joke and start  riffing on something random that gets us both cracking up.
When I left for the UK one of the nicest send offs was Patrick taking me out for high tea on Newbury Street. So even though a wet nor'easter was whipping through Boston, I was determined to go to his good-bye party in Dorchester.
Chris was there but otherwise it was all of Patrick's friends from outside of work and his family.  I had already gone to his work do but I was honored to be included in this no-work gathering.
I showed my appreciation by saying something completely inappropriate during our selfie session.


Good luck on the west coast, Patrick.  May this adventure be everything you were hoping for and more. 

1 comment:

didi said...

Good luck Patrick!!!