Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Daruma Queen

This is my Daruma doll.  It was a gift from Vicki at the start of the year. It comes with a little story about an Indian priest (Daruma) who stared at the wall for 9 years in mediation.  The doll is purchased for good luck, hope and courage throughout the year.  What luck has to do with the 9 year meditation, I have no idea.  The little story really doesn't make that connection.  Anyway, the way it works is that I'm supposed to blacken one eye when I make a wish and then blacken the other eye when the wish comes true.   As many readers can probably guess, the eyes are both white because I'm afraid of "wasting" my Darum wish!  Every time I think of something I talk myself out of it and say that the wish isn't worthy.  
Rereading my little story here, I realize that it really doesn't imply that the eye blackening MAKES the wish come true.  You just blacken the eye and then, basically, you are on your own.  Either it will come true or it won't.  (Which just reminded me of the old game show Andy and I created once called "Either You Win or You Don't".  Andy and I were pretty black and white when we were kids. There were winners and there were losers.  The End.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you use washable markers, is the Daruma doll reusable? And I think you came up with that title - a week at Gramma E's led to some pretty wild desperation, if you didn't get run over first.

didi said...

I need to get me 10 Daruma Dolls!